We are still hearing about a number of health issues in HWV which aren’t being reported to us. Since it is very difficult to take action about “hearsay” we would like to try to increase the formal reporting of conditions. We’ve looked at how we can encourage more people to report health issues and rather than continuing to use our old survey form, which was longwinded for someone wanting to report a single issue, we have developed a new (short) form, which should speed up the process.
- One form should be used per condition so there may be multiple forms submitted per dog. Forms should only be submitted by the owner or on the owner’s behalf.
- This form can be used for living or deceased dogs.
- Since this is a new form, responses from previous health surveys won’t automatically be included. We encourage you to submit them again if possible.
- It should be noted that this is a reporting form to identify health issues so isn’t designed to capture data about the prevalence of a condition within the population in the same way as a health survey, since we won’t be collecting the data of how many dogs don’t have the health problem.
- There is also a separate form to record causes of death.
- As with our previous health survey, the information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence and used just to provide statistics.
Please help us to monitor health issues in the breed by letting us know about any you have encountered. It may be that your experience is an isolated case or we may see emerging patterns that could enable us to take prompt action.
For the forms and more information, visit: http://hwva.org.uk/health/